Wish List

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Star quilt cards...

I had fun making a couple of star quilt cards lately, and I plan to make more with some of my leftover scraps of DSP. I think they're especially great for get well cards. Who doesn't like a nice warm quilt when you don't feel well or are recovering from surgery?

If you want to see a video tutorial for these cards, check this one out. You'll see just how easy they are.

This was the first star quilt card that I made. I used scraps for all the quilt square pieces and  simply cut them to size with my paper cutter. It worked fine to do it that way.


Using an embossing folder on the design really gives it the appearance of a quilt.

The strips were 1/2" wide, the white square was 3" X 3" and the mat was 3 1/8" X 3 1/8"

You will also need four 3/4" squares of white cardstock. These are glued in each corner on top of the strips to create the points of the star.







For the inside of my card, I added a computer-generated sentiment.









This card was made using dies for everything but the strips. I found I had a 3" square die, so I used that to cut the white square. I used the next size up in my set of dies to cut the orange mat. I also had a 3/4" square die and used that to cut the squares for the corners. Using the dies ensured that everything was cut perfectly square.


The sentiments on both cards were popped up on foam tape, and I added a few enamel dots on my second card.

I want to try out some other embossing folders on these cards, too. 

I hope you'll give these cards a try. They're really quick and fun and such a great way to use up scraps.







 This card had a stamped sentiment (actually two sentiments) on the inside. I had a little ink boo-boo between the sentiments, so I used a stitched strip die to cut a small piece of of DSP to cover it up. I think it looks ok; do you?

Someday, when I have some extra time, I'd like to try this in a little bigger size. Maybe a 4" square and 3/4" strips. If I do, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

3 comments:

designbydonna said...

Wow Cheryl. These look so complicated. I will have to check out the video. I love quilts but have never made one on my own. Maybe I can do a paper one. The Embossing looks just like stitching. Love the bright sunny colors of the orange one.

Glittered Paws said...

Love quilts but don't like to make them. That is with fabric. Now paper may be more my thing. I have a quilt die that I have used quite often but no pieced designs like you just did. Great job.

JD/ Jill said...

I love seeing quilt c cards> These are so nicely done!