Wish List

Friday, February 23, 2024

Balloons and the Blackout technique...

 

I saw somewhere online (I forget where) how a cardmaker glued balloons to a background, and I wanted to give it a try. 

I started by punching out a bunch of balloons from different colored scraps. Then I cut a 4" X 5 1/4" panel, and I began randomly adhering the balloons. When I was done, I trimmed off any balloons that were hanging over the edges of my panel.

For my first card, I put a piece of vellum across the center front of the card to subdue the brightness of the balloons. Then I adhered a sentiment that had been die-cut from glitter cardstock.










For the second card, I die-cut a different sentiment from white glitter cardstock and backed it with some plain red cardstock. I then popped it up on dimensionals.
 









On the inside of each card I stamped a sentiment and added a couple more of the balloons, drawing on some strings with a black pen.

I still have some punched balloons left on my desk, so I may be making yet another one of these cards very soon. I've got some other ideas, too, like adding metallic silver or gold balloons to a black panel, or maybe even using pink or blue balloons and creating a "Welcome Baby" card.






This card was made after I was inspired by mt friend Lynette's cards that she shared in this post She sent the card with the bird on it to me for my birthday in January. I loved it so much that I just had to give it a try.


I die-cut a white panel of cardstock and embossed it with a 3D embossing folder. Then on the debossed (back) side, I added some colors of ink to the flowers and leaves, using my smallest blending brushes.

After I had the colors to my liking, I dragged a black ink pad lightly across the top of the panel several times and in different directions to get the desired result. 

After tying a ribbon around my panel, I adhered it to a pale pink cardbase and die-cut a stamped sentiment and popped it up on dimensionals.



I used the same die set that I used for the embossed panel on the front to cut a couple of panels for the inside.

This sentiment stamp was one I had not used before, and I wondered if anyone would buy this card (at the thrift store) with that sentiment. It must have fit someone's needs, because I checked yesterday during my volunteer shift and it had sold.

I hope you'll give one or both of these techniques a try. They were great fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

5 comments:

designbydonna said...

Those balloons are so fun and festive. Good way to use those little pieces we hesitate to throw away because who knows we may want to punch out a bunch of balloons. Love it. One I will definitely try. The floral and black one looks like designer paper. It is very pretty. Until I read the description, I thought it was paper. I haven't tried inking E/Fs. It sound like a real mess.

Glittered Paws said...

loving the balloon card - and i have not only balloon but lots of scraps!!! The black with flower I thought it was a beautiful piece of DP - I think I am going to have to give both of these techniques a try. Have a good weekend.

Lynne in NI said...

Oh my goodness, your cards are so different Cheryl, I'll definitely have to start being more adventurous!! Your balloons work brilliantly and your embossed card is an absolute stunner! Just WOW!!!

JD/ Jill said...

Your cards are fabulous! I am now on making my fourth card with that blackout technique! I am addicted...my third card has a ribbon too. We do think alike sometimes.

Lynette said...

Gorgeous, Cheryl!