Wish List

Friday, April 5, 2024

Let's Craft and Create Challenge #206: Anything Goes or Beautiful Butterflies (use a butterfly)...

 

I'm so glad you've stopped by for a little visit, and I hope you'll be inspired to take part in the latest challenge at Let's Craft and Create. The special option this month is to use a butterfly on your creation. If you're anything like me, you have loads of butterfly stamps, dies and embossing folders.

I decided to use one of my favorite 3D embossing folders to make my card.

I started with a white panel of cardstock and used my embossing folder and machine to impress the butterfly design. When that was done I turned my embossed panel over to the debossed (back) side and added color to the butterflies and plants using some ink pads and blending brushes. I didn't have to be careful about it either! I just brushed on some color until I was happy with it. 

Then I used a black ink pad to swipe ink over the entire panel on that same (back) side. This is what gives this technique its name--the blackout technique. The result is a dramatically pretty image panel.



I added a sheer ribbon to my card. The ribbon had actually been pale pink to start with, but I colored it with a purple alcohol marker.

Once the ribbon was in place, I adhered a stamped sentiment circle with foam squares, and then the entire panel was added to my lavendar card base.






I opted for no more drama on the inside of my card and used just a stamped sentiment.

There are many videos on YouTube you can watch if you just search there for "Embossing Folder Blackout Technique."

I hope you'll join our April challenge, but before you do, be sure to check out the fabulous projects the Design Team has made to inspire you. You'll find them all here. 

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

4 comments:

designbydonna said...

I lookwd at your card and just went WOW! That is a great technique, very dramatic. You know, I always love butterflies. The colors here are beautivul. I don't know if I will try this, I make enough inky mess anyway.

Glittered Paws said...

Oh WOW - so pretty - love the technique - hopefully will have time to be in my craft room this afternoon. Butterflies are such a good image to use on any card.
Daughter is here from Portugal to visit for 5 days so I haven't had much time in my room to play. Good to have her home.

Lynne in NI said...

Woweeee Cheryl, that's an absolute stunner!!! I can't believe you made that with an embossing folder!

Lynette said...

Such a fabulous card! That is a great technique. I used it once and then have forgotten about it. Hopefully I'll get some time soon to do some playing in my stamping room.