Wish List

Friday, April 26, 2024

Kites and rainbows...

I try to make a variety of cards for lots of different occasions when making them for the thrift store. Here are two that I made recently:

I have a small set of kite dies that I don't use much, but I thought they'd be fun to use for a child's birthday card. The sentiment die is one I've had for a long time. I cut two of them and stacked them for some added dimension.


I remember making my own kites out of balsa wood strips, newspaper and some string when I was a kid. I'm not sure I ever got them to fly very well, but I had fun trying! 

I don't believe we ever added the tails with the pretty bows. Maybe that's why they didn't fly properly.







On the inside of this card, I used one of my go-to stamps for kids' birthday cards.









I also have a rainbow die set that I hadn't used for ages. I cut out the rainbow five times from the five colors of cardstock you see in the photo above. That way, I ended up with five rainbows, so I could make more cards like this one. Obviously, the rainbow colors would be in a different order on each card, but I think that's totally ok. These are greeting cards, after all, and not meteorological illustrations, lol.


After using a blending brush to add a little blue ink to the background panel, I glued the rainbow directly to it.

The clouds and the sentiment were popped up on dimensionals.

I created the sentiment with my computer and used seven different colors on the word "rainbow."






I added a simple, stamped sentiment on the inside.

*****

Yesterday afternoon, we went to a matinee showing of the movie "Cabrini." It was about the life and work of Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini after she traveled to the U.S. from Italy in 1889. She was an incredible woman who did so much good in the world, and the movie is excellent. If you have a chance to see it, I highly recommend it. You can learn more about it and see an official trailer at angel.com/sharecabrini.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

3 comments:

designbydonna said...

The kite card is a fun one for kids. I was never very successful with getting kites to fly--through 2 generations, my own and my kids. But you are right it was fun making them. Is that an origin of our paper craft skills? The rainbow one is sure to encourage someone.

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Kites make such a happy card! And I LOVE the rainbow with that great sentiment!

Lynne in NI said...

Beautiful 'weather' cards Cheryl! Me and my brother had many happy times flying our kite when we were kids (I think it was shaped like an eagle, no fancy tail on ours either!) I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a child flying one nowadays!