Wish List

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Happy 14th birthday...

 My beautiful granddaughter Hadley turned 14 on January 30th. I simply cannot believe she is that old already! She's such a lovely, gracious, polite girl. I only wish she lived closer, rather than 1200 miles away!

Here is the card I made for her:

I used my wonky cake die set again for this card. I decided that a cake in shades of pink with chocolate frosting would be just right. The cake plate and the candles were cut from holographic cardstock.

"Happy Birthday" was cut twice from pink cardstock and glued together for dimension.


This is a wonky picture of my wonky cake, but I wanted to show you a close-up of the little pearls I put on it with Nuvo Drops. I think I'm getting a little better at applying them.








The inside of the card featured a twist and pop mechanism that opened up a four-panel strip. A few decorative dies came with the twist and pop die set, and I chose the butterfly and fancy corner dies to use on this card. The "14th" and the butterflies were cut from some yellow-gold glitter paper. 


The sentiments on each panel came from a stamp set that is supposed to look like typed sentiments. I thought they worked really well for this card.












I really do love making twist and pop cards. I think they're fun for my grandkids to receive, too. 

Today I was talking with my stepdaughter and son-in-law who live in Germany (he's a physician there). We were talking about the weather, and he told me how it is fairly common to refer to a weather professional or meteorologist as a weather frog. He said the name comes from a time in the past when people there would put a frog in a glass with a little handmade ladder. The higher the frog climbed on the ladder, the nicer the weather outlook was supposed to be. I just wonder where they got their frogs in the dead of winter!

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl


5 comments:

designbydonna said...

Your granddaughter will love this. That wonky cake is so cute. You did a great job with the pearl drops. I haven't done a pop and twist card but what fun to open one. The gold glitter is perfect for a teen girl.

Lynette said...

I love that wonky cake! I'm sure your granddaughter love this very special card, too. I think I've made a twist and pop card, but I'll have to check it out again. Awesome card.

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Cheryl, I love your wonky cake and the card is a real winner! I'm sure your granddaughter is going to love it! I've only made one of the twist and pop up cards but hand delivered it when it would have cost $4.60 to mail it because of the thickness.

Glittered Paws said...

Loving the wonky cake - and yes you are "perfect" with your dots. Some I do ok - other times not so much. I haven't made a twist and pop card for a long time - where is the die from. I always made them using "folding directions" but think a die would be easier.
There are not any frogs here in winter - especially this week. Snow and lots of it.

Lynne in NI said...

1200 miles is a long way :( I'll bet she adored her fabulous card!
Don't think the weather frogs sound too reliable.