Wish List

Friday, February 25, 2022

A commissioned card...

 My reputation as a cardmaker at the thrift store has led to making a couple of cards commissioned by one of the customers. This is the second of those cards.

The customer gave me the sentiment she wanted on the inside and other than that, she just said to create whatever I liked. I decided on a gatefold card with a scalloped oval on the front. "Happy Birthday" was cut with a die and adhered to the oval, which was attached to the left side of my gatefold.


I used my favorite flower die, inking the centers a bit with white ink to lighten them and propping some of the petals up with tiny foam squares.

I added an enamel dot to the center of the yellow flower and Nuvo Drops to the centers of the blue flowers.








On the inside, I finished every panel with a piece of DSP. The same size oval as was used on the front was also used on the inside. I made sure I placed it directly under the oval on the front. I had a couple of leftover blue flowers, so I added them here.


I used my computer to print out the requested sentiment before cutting it out with the scalloped oval die.








Then, because I had a few flowers and pieces of DSP still lying on my desk, I decided to make another card for my stash. I also had the chipboard scroll--which just happened to be the right shade of blue--lying on my desk, so I used them all on this card.  

The "Happy Birthday" was stamped with black Versafine ink. I think it's the very best ink for stamping sentiments.

I used another white oval for the sentiment panel on the inside. Again, another stamped sentiment.

I've been having a little discomfort on the inside of my righthand thumb. A few days ago, I realized that the soreness came from tightly gripping my ATG tape dispenser when making cards. Yes, I use it a LOT. I even order 24 rolls of tape refills at a time because I go through them so fast. Now the sore spot is starting to form a callous! Who would ever have thought we could get callouses from card making?

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl


7 comments:

designbydonna said...

Beautiful birthday cards. The oval die is so pretty and feminine. It goes so well with the flowers. Great way to clean up your desk and come up with a beautiful card while doing it.

Lynette said...

That is so cool that you get special requests, Cheryl!! You came up with a great card for her, and it will sure mean a lot to her daughter. I love those flowers, too and can see why they're your favorite. The second card is very pretty, also. Bummer about your thumb! I hope it heals on its own.

Patti J said...

This is lovely, and I’m sure the person you made it for was thrilled with it! Great job!

Darnell said...

I'm surprised folks aren't lining up around the block to place orders for your beautiful cards, Cheryl, and these two are perfect examples of your talent! Your designs are always thoughtful and detailed and executed so cleanly. I love the colors and patterns and sweet touches with the detailed flowers on these! Hugs, Darnell

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

I'm sure whoever ordered that card was thrilled with it! It's just beautiful!

Glittered Paws said...

Very pretty and what an honor to be commissioned. The die cut is so pretty - nd love the inside sentiment. Good idea to make one for self. There are hazards to card making, inky fingers - paper cuts, carpal tunnel syndrome, forgetfulness (as in you forget how much time you have spent on a card), weight gain (especially if you keep M & M's in your crafting area, - LOL

Lynne in NI said...

Well I'm sure your customer was delighted with their card, that flower is fabulous and such a lovely colour theme too!
Sorry about your thumb, you'll have to ease up on your grip (or conscript hubby as an assistant haha).
I'll add stabbing yourself with a new craft knife to Gittered Paws list. Ouch!