Wish List

Friday, January 28, 2022

You're my favorite critter...

 I needed to make some Valentines to donate to the thrift store, and I was trying to think of something that kids would like to receive from grandparents, aunts and uncles or others. I found a package of little critters made from felt at Dollar Tree and thought they would make some really fun cards.

The package contained four "critters." I've used three of them on today's cards--a hedgehog, a squirrel and a fox. There was also an owl, which I used on a somewhat different card. I'll share that one in another post.

This card features the hedgehog. The largest hearts and the borders at the bottom of each card are all stickers that were given to me by the thrift store, so it was appropriate to use them on these cards. I punched out and adhered the small hearts you see.

My sentiments on these card fronts were computer generated. This one was inked a little around the edges.

These Valentines were so much fun to make. I always feel good when I can use up some of the supplies the thrift store gives me and donate them back in the form of cards that they can then sell.

The inside of each card was stamped with a simple "Happy Valentine's Day." This left lots of room to write a personal note.

Yesterday I celebrated my birthday by volunteering at the thrift store. I took in these Valentines, along with other Valentines and all-occasion cards. On my way out of the store at the end of my shift, I noticed that several had already sold. Each week I donate 12-24 cards, depending on how much time I have to make them. I do make lots of duplicates, so once I have the "recipe" for a card figured out, I can make several of them in an afternoon. It's too bad I can't seem to give that kind of focus to house cleaning and cooking!!

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

7 comments:

designbydonna said...

These are so cute. I can see them selling right away. Every little kid loves getting happy mail from grandparents.

Lynette said...

They are so cute, Cheryl. It's so cool that the thrift store gives you a few supplies and you give them back, assembled. :-) I think it's awesome, also, that so many cards are sold at the store!!

Darnell said...

Haha, don't feel bad, Cheryl. You did your share of house cleaning and cooking, now it's time to enjoy the good life. Besides, you are doing such a service by making your wonderful cards for the thrift store. Just imagine the magnitude of the joy you are spreading, especially when little adorable felt critters are the stars of the show. I love these Valentine designs! Have a great weekend and stay warm! Hugs, Darnell

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Hi Cheryl these are wonderful cards and so cute and I think it is such a lovely thing that you do make these cards for the thrift store to sell. These little characters are so cute. Take care, Michelle x

Patti J said...

Cute as can be! I actually bought some felt stickers at Hobby Lobby! May borrow your idea, as I need to do the grandkids’ cards tomorrow! These are adorable, thanks for sharing!

Lynne in NI said...

Belated Happy Birthday Cheryl! Hope you had a great day. Your Valentine cards are adorable, waaaaay more fun than doing housework LOL

Glittered Paws said...


what a great idea - I have some little felt gnomes - (HL) but these critters are adorable. Just regular glue??? So nice to donate cards to the thrift store - people love handmade cards and I am sure yours sell quickly.
Housework - NOT - well I did dust today but that is all.