Wish List

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Some Father's Day cards...

My dad passed away in 2000 and I still miss him, but I continue to make Father's Day cards to donate. I always think of Dad while I'm crafting away. When I was a little girl, he would play his guitar and ask me to come and sing with him. He played country western songs, so I learned the words to many of them. I surprise myself by still remembering them when I hear them nowadays.

One of Dad's favorite stories about me was when I was a little girl--only 2-3 years old--I was in the narthex of the church with my siblings, waiting for church to be out when I saw my dad up on the altar singing with the choir. I thought it must be time to sing with dad, so I began walking down the aisle towards Dad singing "Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes, Don't Let the Moon Break Your Heart," as loudly as I could. And I had little bells on the laces of my shoes for my accompaniment! My Dad always said he was very embarrassed, but I bet he thought it was kind of cute, too.

 Here are a few of the Father's Day cards I have made:

This was one of those easy-peasy cards where I used my Silhouette to trace a clipart golf card and cut it out. I simply added some rolling hills from my scraps, a few clouds with a stencil and a stamped sentiment. Oh, yes, and an enamel dot in the center of each wheel.


I created a computer-generated sentiment for the inside.








The thrift store had given me some partially used shell stickers and some 3-circle-aperture card bases, which were white. I started this card by covering the front of the card with a brown plaid paper.  I added one of the shell stickers and my sentiment which was printed and then popped up on foam tape.

I added some brown glitter alpha stickers from my stash to spell DAD in the apertures, after putting some DSP on the inside of the card.


Here's what the card looks like on the inside, with its printed sentiment. 









You may remember the counterpart to this card that I made for Mother's Day and shared in this post.  It sold immediately in the thrift store, so I decided to make a similar one for Father's Day since I already had the die set. 

I started by using a scrap of DSP that resembled a water-colored background in shades of yellow. I dry-embossed it and then added my die-cut letters for DAD, my hero figure and a few holographic stars. The hero figure was cut from white cardstock and colored with alcohol markers before assembling. It's a little fiddly, but really fun to see him come together.


The sentiment on the inside of the card was printed with my computer.









My DH and I worked out in our yard all afternoon yesterday. We were exhausted by dinner time! We did get a lot of planting done, though, including some peony bushes. I absolutely love peonies, so I'm excited for the new ones to blossom. They may not produce flowers this year, as it's a little late to be planting them, but I'm just happy they're in the ground. I also planted a lot of annuals and mowed the grass for the first time. Hubby can't do it yet, because he is still recovering from his knee surgery, and I don't want him to have any setbacks. It feels wonderful to have the outside work under control.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

4 comments:

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

What fun cards! I have golfers in the family but have a hard time making cards with that theme.......love your golf cart! And the third card is so fun!

I loved the story about when you were little. I'm sure your father loved the memories every time he told you the story.

designbydonna said...

That is a fun memory. Your cards are all cute. And I love the puns.

Patti J said...

What a nice card! I’m like you - I think of my parents when making mother and Father’s Day cards, and try to find good memories to smile over. I smiled at your story! We will work in our yard tomorrow and over the weekend. Thanks for sharing your fun creation!

Glittered Paws said...

Love the golf cart silhouette on your first card - and the superman card is just too cute. Great job. Love your story of you walking up the church aisle singing with your dad and bells on your shoes.
My mom was a beautiful soloist but she often sang with my dad at church doing a duet. I can remember sitting there hearing them sing Amazing Grace and Old Rugged Cross. I don't think I was very old but just one of those memories that sticks with you.