Wish List

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Stadium wave pop-up cards...

After watching Sam Calcott's video tutorial here on how to make stadium wave cards, I made a few for family birthdays.

This card was made for my daughter who fosters dogs for a local rescue agency. I have a die that is a row of little pups, all hooked together. I simply cut them apart to use on my card.




These cards are a nightmare to photograph, so please excuse the bad images I'm sharing with you. I hope you get the idea.

I used pink vellum and some strong double-sided tape for the wave mechanism in this card. It worked well and wasn't as thick as cardstock.












Here's the sentiment panel on the inside, which I created with my computer. My daughter is always cuddling on the couch with two or three dogs, so this was perfect for her.








This is a stadium wave card I made for my aunt. All of these cards were A2 in size. I cut the cardstock at 4 1/4" X 11" and scored them at 5 1/2", so they were top-fold cards.

The butterfly was very glittery, so I also added glitter to the small white circles that had been die-cut, signifying the butterfly's trail.


On the inside there was a rainbow of butterflies. I added a die-cut oval with a stamped sentiment on it and a blank oval (on the lower left side) as a space to write a personal note and sign the card.

As you can see in the photo, I used the same paper for the wave mechanism as I had used to decorate the inside and front of my card. This paper was not cardstock, but more like a good quality printer paper. It seemed sturdy enough for the wave mechanism and didn't make the card so thick that I had to add a belly band to keep it closed.

I was with my aunt when she opened this card, and she really loved it!








I made this card twice - for two of my grandsons. They were not the same age, so the statistics used on the inside were a bit different on each of them.

The sentiment on the front of the card was created with my computer. The balloons were die-cut and the middle one was popped up on foam squares.

In this photo you can see that I've added die-cut ovals to each section of the "wave." Each oval has a statistic on it that is equal to 14 years. The stats included were seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and, finally, years.  I used a good quality printer paper to make each piece of the wave mechanism and because I had only seven ovals/statistics, I scored and folded my paper strips a little differently to give them a wider spread.

Both of the grandsons who received these cards really seemed to like them. The stadium wave mechanism is such a fun surprise when the card is opened.

I hope you'll give these cards a try. Once you get the hang of it, they're not hard at all. I think a Christmas card with all different kinds of die-cut snowflakes on the wave mechanism would be great. I may have to give that a try.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

4 comments:

designbydonna said...

These are awesome. What fun to open the card and find the cascade. I will check out that video.

Patti J said...

These are so fun to create! Your cards are adorable! Great job, dear friend ❤️

Glittered Paws said...

Aren't these fun to make - I have to pull up the directions every time I make one but... Great job on all of the cards. I really like the birthday card with all of the stats.

Lynette said...

I'm so far behind so I'm not going to comment on each post individually, but these cards are really cool, Cheryl! I can see why your grandsons would enjoy them so much. I used to watch a lot of her videos, but I haven't seen them for a while now.