Wish List

Friday, June 9, 2023

A couple of masculine cards...

 The thrift store gave me a partially used paper stack that had some very masculine designs and cut-aparts in it, so I decided to use it to make some cards for them to sell.

Because I don't often make clearly masculine birthday cards, that's what I decided to work on.

The first card was a gate-fold A2 card. I added some of the DSP to each side and then fussy-cut a tag and a loon from one of the cut-apart pages.  After stamping "Happy Birthday," I also cut a tag from kraft CS that was just a bit bigger than the printed one and adhered them together. Finally, I added the loon and a bit of twine and adhered the left side of my tag onto the left side of the card. If you look closely, you'll see that I used a red Viva Decor pen to give my loon a red eye.

Did you know that loons have red eyes? They help them to see better underwater when they're looking for fish to catch. My family used to go to northern Minnesota quite regularly in the summertime when the kids were small, and I loved hearing the loons out on the lake at dusk. They make a somewhat mournful, but beautiful sound. If you've never heard a loon, listen to this short video:  Voices: Common Loon - YouTubeI think you'll be amazed at the sound!

My second card is a standard A2 card.


I cut out the oval and then cut a mat out of some burlap-patterned paper that was included in the stack. I added a little more twine and then created a matted birthday sentiment on a die-cut circle. The stamped leafy sprig was added with a second-generation stamp to make it a little lighter.

Both the oval and the circle have been popped up for added dimension.






On the inside of each card I added a stamped sentiment and a little bit of the DSP. I thought this sentiment was perfect for cards that depict "the wilds" of northern Minnesota.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl


5 comments:

designbydonna said...

Look at you. Two blogs in a row making masculine cards. That paper is perfect and really shows off you focal points. Great job!

Patti J said...

Cheryl, these are perfect masculine cards! Beautifully done! I have so much patterned paper, let me know if you ever need some for your donated cards! You rock!

Glittered Paws said...

What great masculine cards - and love the red eye on the loon. I did go to the u-tube video and I know I have heard that sound out camping etc. but did not know what it was. Thanks for sharing.

JD/ Jill said...

Wow! These are so very nicely done. Great use of that paper and a wonderful design!

Lynette said...

That is great paper, and your cards are great, too! That oval in the second card really looks like it has texture to it. I looked and looked at it and was checking out how you had done it. LOL!