Wish List

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

You're off to great places...


Talk about an easy graduation card to make! This is one of those five-minute cards. I have the graphic for the front in a Word file on my computer, and I just print it out so that it can be cut to size and put on an A2 card base.

I don't remember where I got the graphic (at least a year ago!), but I think it was a freebie on someone's blogsite. 


I have a die set to cut out the mortar board hat with its gold tassel. It's popped up on a couple of foam squares, but the end of the tassel is glued directly to the card front so that it doesn't accidentally get torn off.





My word file contains two card fronts and two card interior panels with the sentiment you see in the photo on the right.

Last night I printed out two more of these to make for the thrift store to sell. I'll be taking them, along with an assortment of other cards, to the store this week.

As I was creating this blog post, I wondered why the graduation cap is called a mortar board. That's really a funny name for this strange looking hat, don't you think? 

Nowadays, it's easy to find out all kinds of trivial information by Googling it, so that's what I did. I found that it's called a mortar board because it is shaped like the board that brickmasons use to hold their mortar. 

Then I thought, "But why is there a tassel?" Once again, the internet offered the answer. Graduation tassels date back to the 14th century. European universities used tassels to indicate different levels of academic achievement. This symbolism has now been given to honor cords which are hung around the neck and draped over the front of the graduation robe. But the tassels remain on the mortar boards.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

5 comments:

designbydonna said...

May have been easy but these make a real impact with that big sentiment. The colors are varied so you can use different colored card stock to suit the school colors.

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Wonderful cards, such a smart design and these toppers are brilliant! I really like layered colours of card that you have used under your topper, they really frame your cards beautifully and the mortar embellishments are so cute. Very interesting information too, thanks for that! Always a question someone is bound to ask and you look at each other puzzled lol. Have a great rest of the week Michelle x

Glittered Paws said...

Talk about quick - love this print out - and the "mortor board" die is one I wish I had in my collection. I am sure these will go fast at the Thrift Store.

Lynette said...

That's a cool graphic and it makes a great, simple card!! Thanks for the research, too. :-)

Patti J said...

Ugh, I just this very minute (8:01 Saturday night) realized I need 2 grad cards for church tomorrow! I love this idea! Super cute cards! Now, I’m off to try to figure out what I can make in a hurry! Hugs…