Wish List

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Birthday card for a sweet granddaughter...

I have a granddaugter who is just finishing up her second year of college, and this is the birthday card I made for her. It's a slimline center-step card. I've made center-step cards before, but never a slimline one.


Here is a picture of my granddaughter with her boyfriend, taken at a college swim meet. They were both on the swim team.

This card was a little tricky to cut, score and fold just right, but I managed it in the end. I was going to add some complimentary DSP for the narrow side pieces, but I decided that might make it look too busy. But looking at these photos, I wish I had used some subtly patterned red paper on each side. I think that might have looked nice. 


As you can see in this picture, I've inked around the edges of my scalloped panel and popped it up on foam squares.

The cherries were cut with a neat little die set that I've had for a while. I added some clear Nuvo Drops to the embossed areas on each cherry. It gives them a nice little shine.




On the inside, I added another scalloped panel that had been stamped with a birthday sentiment. I cut the cherries out again, split them into two separate cherries and adhered one on each side. The cherry stem on the left is actually the back side of the die-cut (so I could get it to face the opposite way). The red parts of the cherries are perfectly symmetrical, so I cut the cherry fruit and leaf and glued them to the back side of the stem. No one will be the wiser!

My granddaughter told me she loved this card, which is the best compliment I can get. She also told me she has saved all the cards I have made for her over the years. I was so very pleased. I guess we never know how our cards affect those who receive them. Most of us take for granted that a great many--probably most--of our cards will just be thrown away.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl


5 comments:

Patti J said...

She is adorable! What a beautiful girl - and inside too! What fun that she's saved all of your cards over the years, and is not too 'cool' to admit it! They make an adorable couple, too. Love the card, Cheryl - great job, as always!

Lynette said...

This is great as a slimline card, Cheryl! I haven't made a step card for a very long time. Perhaps I should. :-) I love the cute cherries. And it's great that your granddaughter has kept all the cards that you have sent to her!

designbydonna said...

Really sweet, cute card. I have not made a step card. I actually like the consistency of the patterned paper on the side pieces. Your granddaughter is beautiful. How special that she saved all your cards.

Glittered Paws said...

So which one first the card or the grand daughter as they are both beautiful. The card - I have not seen a slim line step card but I really like it - think I might have to try one. Your grand daughter is very pretty and a great smile.

JD/ Jill said...

Sweet card! And thank for sharing the picture of your granddaughter and her boyfriend. Cute couple!