Wish List

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Cutting at an angle = two cards...

I was inspired by an online video to give this idea a try: cut a square piece of  DSP that measures 4 1/4" on each side. Cut that square piece in two at an angle, using each piece on the front of a card base.

Here are my first two cards. The green DSP started out as the 4 1/4" square piece. After cutting it an angle, each piece was adhered to the top of a white card base.


I added a strip of gold cardstock to finish the edge of my cut piece. I then stamped my sentiment using black and green ink. As a final embellishment, I added a few holographic stars that I had in my stash.







The sentiment on the inside of my card was also stamped with both green and black inks. One more of those holographic stars was added to the center of the largest circle. It's really not blue, but must be reflecting something blue in the room where I took the photo.








For this card, I used a "speckle" stamp to add some interest to the white card base below my DSP. Then I adhered the layered die-cut sentiment and three enamel dots.








I stamped a simple sentiment on the inside of this one.









These two cards were done in a similar fashion to the ones above. 

















I die-cut the "Happy Birthday" out of blue and white cardstock. I tried to offset them a bit when I glued them together, but it really doesn't show except for a little on the last letter that dips down onto the blue DSP.

My corner dots were created with Nuvo Drops.







I used some blue ink to stamp the sentiment on the inside of this card.










The "hello" was stamped onto the card front. "My friend" was heat-embossed onto navy blue cardstock and then popped up on dimensionals. Nuvo Drops were used once again for some added embellishment.







Another stamped sentiment finishes off the inside.

This was a quick way to make four cards, all donated to the thrift store. They were quick to make, too--probably only about an hour for all four cards!






Today we are going to see the Immersive Van Gogh Exhibit here in Minneapolis. We've had so few special activities over the past 18 months, so I'm very excited about this one. We plan to spend at least a couple of hours "immersing" ourselves in Van Gogh art, music and special effects. I'm not exactly sure what to expect from the experience, but I'll give you a little report in my next post later this week.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

4 comments:

Lynette said...

Such a simple and effective layout. I've always loved the paper cut on an angle. The Van Gogh event sounds awesome!

designbydonna said...

This is a great technique. I like angles and offsets. Those large sentiments are perfect to fill up the white spaces. I like the speckles on the white too. I am making a lot of cards for the fall craft shows. I am going to give this a try. I certainly have a lot of patterned papers to use up!

Glittered Paws said...

What a great idea, on my list to try. The grand daughter still needs kids birthday cards so this would be a quick and easy way to make up a few cards. You do so well on the nuvo dots - mine never turn out this well. Hope you enjoyed the exhibit.

Patti J said...

I saw that too, hadn’t had a chance to try it yet! These are great, my friend! Thanks for sharing!