Wish List

Friday, May 3, 2013

A very special birthday card...

My older sister is six years older than me, and I have always adored her. She was always so kind and thoughtful to me, and I never remember her making me feel like a little pest--even though I'm sure I was! As children, we shared a bed, and I remember her singing to me at night before we went to sleep. We slept upstairs, which was unheated (in North Dakota!) except for the little bit of warmth that crept up the stairs at night or drifted through the register. She didn't seem to mind when I cuddled next to her for warmth. She was a princess in my eyes; when she laughed, I was happy, and when she cried, I cried, too.

Here are a couple photos of us when I was very small. In this first picture, I think I'm only about two years old, or maybe even less.
That's me in the sailor hat and my sister in the cowboy hat. The yellow-brown color you see in the two bottom corners is from old (really old!) transparent tape. This photo and the one below are taped into my baby book, and I simply took a photo of each of them to share with you.
Here we are together again when I was a year or so older. Notice the matching dresses! I'm sure my mother sewed those dresses for us. We hardly knew what a store-bought dress was when we were growing up.

My sister always deserves a special birthday card, and here is the one I made for her this year:

This is a tri-shutter card, with lots of little panels to decorate.
I used Martha Stewart punches for the butterflies, flowers and leaves. I used a Fiskars punch for the heart and Fiskars stamps for the sentiment.
The plain and scalloped ovals were cut using a Lifestyle Crafts die. I added some liquid pearls to the centers of the flowers (the butterflies, too!) and some Diamond Glaze to the heart beneath the sentiment.
 
This is a view from the top of the card, so you can see how it criss-crosses itself.
 
I hope my big sister enjoys her birthday card, but more than that, I hope she has a spectacular year!
 
Thanks for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl




4 comments:

Patti J said...

Happy Birthday to your sister, Cheryl! Hope her day (and year) are as wonderful as she is. Your card is beautiful. And I am sure she will be thrilled with it! Hugs.....

Anonymous said...

Dear Cheryl, As I told you I loved that card and I will keep it always. Your creativity just awes me. Thank you so much. Love those pictures myself. Also thanks so much for the beautiful comments. Wish I felt that I truly deserved them all. You are a super sister and thanks again for the birthday wishes and wonderful card! pj

Anonymous said...

Great card Cheryl?? I know Pat will like it. MKW

Shanna said...

I love it!!! Happy Birthday, Auntie Pat!

I can really see Sophie in that first picture!