Wish List

Friday, September 16, 2022

Happy 16th birthday...


 My sister sent me several "fashion girl" images that were already cut out and ready to place on cards. Because they were images of young girls, I decided to use a couple of them for 16th birthday cards. I popped each girl up on foam squares.


I used a die that features a pierced design for the background. I really love these dies as they add such nice texture.

The "Happy" and "Birthday" were from a sticker sheet that I've had for years! They're tiny, so I haven't used them much, but I thought they worked fine for these cards.







I cut the "16th" out with a number die set. The swirly corner was also cut with a die from my collection of corner dies.










On the inside, I matted my sentiment panel with the same cardstock as was used on the front.

The sentiment was computer-generated.

These cards were fun to make. I actually made three of them and donated them to the thrift store.














While our company was here, we took them to the Minneapolis Institute of Art. I love going there, and when I do, I always have to visit my favorite sculpture--the "Veiled Lady" by Raffaelo Monti (1860). I am always amazed that a sculptor could make you think you were looking at a lady's face through her veil, when it's all made of stone!


This effect is achieved by leaving the portion of stone that makes up the veil unpolished, and polishing the rest of the sculpture. It's actually more amazing than this picture shows. There are other sculptors who have created veiled ladies, so if you ever get a chance, go see one!


This is a picture of my son-in-law and me studying the Veiled Lady at the MIA.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

5 comments:

designbydonna said...

What a great sister you have. Those are fabulous girl images. Perfect for girl birthday. I like the addition of the scroll in the corner to fill up the empty space. That is an amazing sculpture. It really does look like a face behing the veil. I guess we do our "sculpting" with paper!

Patti J said...

These are so much fun! Any 16 year old would be delighted to receive one. That thrift store is SO lucky to have you!

Lynne in NI said...

Those little girls are so sweet and perfect for a 16th, bet they flew out your store.
And what an amazing sculpture, imagine having that talent!!

Glittered Paws said...

What fun 16th birthday cards. I bet these sold quickly at the thrift store.
We just got back from vacation to Tacoma/Seattle WA. and we took in a couple of museums with dear friends, no pictures. One was the museum of glass which was breath taking.

Lynette said...

Such cute images, and perfect for a sixteen-year-old! So nicely done! That is a very cool sculpture, for sure!! Thanks for sharing, and also for sharing the photo of you and your son-in-law.