Wish List

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Pretty peonies and a sympathy card...


 Not long ago, I picked this bouquet of peonies from the plants beside our front steps. They are so full and pretty. I can't resist bringing bouquets of them into the house. We added two new peony plants this year, and I am looking forward to having even more flowers from which to make my bouquets next spring!

I also had to make a sympathy card recently, as our son-in-law's father passed away. He was a lovely man whom we had gotten to know over the years. We even stayed with him and his wife in Vermont when we were on an East Coast trip. We are so sad that he will no longer be with us, and I wanted to let his wife know how much we cared.

I started out by stamping my image onto a white slimline panel, using a light-colored ink. I had tried stamping it with black ink, but I didn't like the result. I thought the lighter ink was much better. Then I laid down a base of color on the flowers and leaves with alcohol markers.


I used colored pencils to add more shading, depth and detail. Some pale blue chalk was smudged around the edges of the flower spray, and at the last minute, I used a gel pen to add the light gold you see at the base of each tiny gold flower.

The sentiment was stamped onto the lower righthand corner, and the panel was added to a lilac cardbase.


Another sentiment was stamped on the inside, leaving lots of room for a personal message.

We are still working on getting our yard in shape. I planted more annual flowers recently, and my husband planted another grape vine. I love being able to use the grapes to make grape jelly in the fall.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

6 comments:

Patti J said...

Beautiful card, and flowers! Sympathy cards are always so difficult to make, especially when they are personal. You did a great job, as always! Our peony bush is done. So sad. Time to trim it back. I guess. Sigh…

designbydonna said...

Gorgeous flowers with beautiful coloring. Your peonies are so pretty.

Glittered Paws said...

Beautiful sympathy card - they are always so hard to make. I did a sympathy card swap a few months ago and it has been very nice to have a stash in case I need one. You used just about every coloring medium you had didn't you and the results warrant a GREAT JOB. The peonies are beautiful.

Lynette said...

Sorry for the loss of your son-in-law's father. The card you made for his wife is so perfect - colored wonderfully and I love that sentiment/font. Your peonies are beautiful, also.

Lynne in NI said...

Such a beautiful card for such a sad occasion. You've put a lot of work into colouring your image and it certainly shows, great job Cheryl!!

We were given our first peonie at the end of last summer, donated from an old lady's garden as she was going to live in a local care home - it promptly keeled over and died so I was delighted when it poked its head up in spring and ended up giving us 5 beautiful blooms! So hopefully next year it will do better now it's settled in!

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Really lovely sympathy card, Cheryl! I'm sure the family appreciated it.