Wish List

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Vellum poinsettias...

My three sisters are VIPs in my life, so I wanted to send them some special Christmas cards. I first made an all-white card, which I featured in this post, and then decided to make two more cards based on this one. But instead of using white vellum for the poinsettia, I used a fairly deep pink vellum, which I happened to have on hand.


I cut the petals of my poinsettia (5 large, 10 medium, 5 small) using a Cheery Lynn Holly Leaves die. After they were cut, I took each petal and dipped its edges in liquid glue and then in glitter to give it a frosted look.

Add caption


When they were dry, I assembled my petals onto a 1" circle of double-sided adhesive with the backing paper removed from only one side of it. I didn't remove the other side until I was ready to adhere the entire flower to my card front.

The sentiment (a $1.50 stamp from Michaels) was heat-embossed with some silver embossing powder onto a strip of white vellum.


The dry embossing was done with a freebie embossing border from a past issue of Cardmaking & Papercraft. I enhanced it a bit by using my glitter pen on the holly berries and flower centers.


The inside of my card is pretty simple with more embossing across the top, a narrow strip of glitter tape and a heat-embossed sentiment.

I'm entering this card into Die Cuttin' Divas' Christmas Anything Goes challenge #246.







Here's a look at both cards together.

I apologize for the poor photos in this post. Our days have been so dark and gloomy that it has been impossible to get good photos.

I was in such a hurry to mail these cards that after I dropped them in the mailbox across the street, I realized that I had forgotten to sign them! Sheesh! I told my sisters to simply hang on to them and send them to someone else next year (after signing them, of course!). I'm a firm believer in Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. You wouldn't know it by looking at my craft area and the piles of stuff there, but a fair amount of it these days comes from a local thrift shop that sells used craft supplies.

Thank you so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

6 comments:

designbydonna said...

I really love the vellum poinsettia. These are both such elegant cards. I know they will make your sisters feel so special. And hahahaha, I have done that failed to sign cards thing too. And sometimes I do it on purpose so the person can "regift" it.

Unknown said...

Wow! The poinsettia's are absolutely beautiful, love this effect! Thanks for joining us at DieCuttinDivas this week.

Mona Pendleton said...

Oh my Cheryl! What gorgeous cards! Those poinsettias look so beautiful! The frosty tipped edges add such a nice touch! Surely your sisters will treasure these! Happy Holidays!

Glittered Paws said...

Beautiful - don't you love it when you have "just what you need" on hand.. How do you do your narrow embossing folders without leaving a "hump" at the edges? I can see that these cards are for VIP.

Sue said...

So pretty in vellum, I had some out today and worked with it too. Lovely card, Cheryl.

Hugs
Sue

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Cheryl all of these are beautiful. Lots of sparkle and the fun embossing. Your poinsettia's are truly gorgeous. Special treasures for your sisters. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas.