Wish List

Friday, October 7, 2022

Inking an embossing folder...

 I decided that I wanted to have another go at inking up an embossing folder. I selected one of the few 3D folders that I have and used some blue Distress Oxide ink on it.

I was really pleased with the coverage I got. I used a brayer to ink up the background side of the EF and kept my panel of cardstock in place so that I could brayer on more ink several times. Once that was done and the ink had dried, I glued the panel to the front of a white card base.


I think the Distress Oxide ink works better for this technique than any other ink I've tried. Also, using a brayer helps to get nice, even coverage.

I used a glitter pen to add just a tiny bit of sparkle in the creases of the flowers where some ink occasionally settled. I also glued on a few pearls.

The stamped sentiment oval was one I had in my stash, and I simply popped it up on foam tape.






I stamped another sentiment on the inside and my card was done.

This was so easy that I think I'll make a few more in different colors for the thrift store to sell.










Now a little about out latest "adventure." We went on a RoadScholar trip to a guest ranch called Rancho de la Osa, which is about an hour south of Tucson, AZ, very near to Sasabe, Mexico.

This is one building with guest rooms on the ranch grounds. We had a large room with a fireplace in the middle of this building. It was built in the 1800s, so was quite rustic, but with everything we needed for comfort. It was also air-conditioned, so even in 95+ temps, we were comfortable.

Other buildings on the ranch included the hacienda, where we had three fabulous meals a day, a cantina where we gathered for some of our classes and to socialize with others in our group , additional buildings with guest rooms, and, of course, the horse barn and other outbuildings.

We rode horses most days. The horse assigned to me was named Boone. He was a gentle, patient soul, and we got along well. The trail rides lasted about 1 1/2 hours and took us into the Sonoran Desert countryside.

When we weren't riding horses or doing other outside activities, we had informative classes we could attend. One of them was a watercolor class, taught by an artist from Tucson. In the picture above, my creation is on the left and my husband's is on the right (guess who is the wine drinker in the family? LOL). We also had classes from experts on Navaho jewelry and weavings, desert plants and their uses, horsemanship, varieties of tequila and how they're made, etc. We enjoyed the classes as much as the trail rides and we're looking forward to another RoadScholar trip - maybe in 2023.

One early evening, after a sudden rainstorm, we had this beautiful sunset. It's a great reminder of the fun we had "getting our cowboy on" at Rancho de la Osa.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

4 comments:

Patti J said...

What a fun adventure you had! We did some horseback riding last month in Colorado. It had been many years since we owned and rode horses, and my body sure wasn’t used to it! Glad you had a good time! Your card is so pretty! That bit of sparkle finished it off nicely! Beautifully done!

designbydonna said...

Beautiful card. I have been reluctant to try the ink on folder technique. I keep envisioning what a mess I would make. I may just have to give it a try. Your trip looks like so much fun. You both did well with the watercoloring.

Lynette said...

Your inking on the embossing folder turned out great!! I still don't have a 3-D folder. I should remedy that some day. And your Road Scholar trip sounds amazing. I get emails from them, but we have never done one. Glad you had such a nice time.

Lynne in NI said...

Gorgeous card Cheryl, the embossed effect is fab and you've used such a pretty folder
Greg always fancied himself as a 'cowboy', he would have loved your holiday (his back wouldn't be fit for it now unfortunately). And well done to you both on your artwork! Sounds like a fun holiday xx