Wish List

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Kokeshi dolls...

Japanese Kokeshi dolls are beautiful wooden dolls that were first made during the Edo period (1603-1868). One characteristic of these dolls is the lack of hands and feet. They're always hidden in the design.

Since the Silhouette online design store had some cards (#7183) using images of three of these lovely dolls, I decided to make a couple for my granddaughter to use as birthday cards for her friends.

Awwww - aren't they cute doll images? They were quite easy to cut out and layer. I added some gems and flowers to give them a little extra flair and sparkle.


My pictures really don't do them justice.

The only hard part about putting these cards together was gluing the tiny pieces for the eyes and mouths. I had to be extra careful that I didn't lose them in the mess on my desk!

These were cut at 5.5" high, but they ended up being a lot narrower than the usual 4.25" for an A2 card. I was able, however, to find some envelopes in my stash that fit nicely.







This was also a fun way to use up some of the pretty scraps in my left-over paper file. I have SO MANY paper scraps!

I didn't take a photo of the inside, as it was very simple. I just stamped "Happy Birthday," and left it at that. I was in a big hurry to get them finished so I could take them with me when we traveled the 200 miles to my daughter's home.

There is a third design in the set which I didn't make this time around. I'll be giving that one a try after Christmas because they're so fun to make!

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

7 comments:

designbydonna said...

Those little doss are so sweet. Your embellishments make them even more special. Your granddaughter and her friends will love these.

Mona Pendleton said...

Pure cuteness Cheryl! I love the darling girls!

Lynne in NI said...

Awww these are so sweet Cheryl! Your GD's friends will think she has a cool creative Grandma!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Aaaw, these are so sweet Cheryl! Your granddaughter will be very popular ;) any little girl would be thrilled to receive one of these! Have a lovely Sunday my friend! Thank you for popping by my blog again today, hopefully I will be less hectic after the new year! Hazel xx

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thanks Cheryl for stopping by. I simply love these beautiful cards. I have a Japanese pen pal while in 7th grade thru current She lived in Japan until out of high school and is now in Ohio...So fun. You really made them look so adorable. Great idea to share with your grand daughter.
We went out for breakfast this am it is -20, but we dressed for it and with no wind it was quite nice, Sunshine and NO WIND. I'm really ahead of the game this year and don't know how that happened. Made 7 kinds of cookies for cookie tray gifts and will try my hand at Cinnamon rolls tomorrow.
Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday season. Safe travels. and MERRY CHRISTMAS

Glittered Paws said...

What awesome images - all with your cutter, hmmm. My hubby would like for me to have one but...we will see, maybe Santa will bring one. These dolls are too cute and your granddaughter will love them.

Georgiana said...

Aren't these the cutest! Your granddaughter's friends are going to love these!