Wish List

Friday, August 2, 2019

Gatefold shutter card...

Last month was my DH's birthday, and I decided to make him a gatefold shutter card. I love the interactive element of these cards.


This is the front of my card. It doesn't close tightly as there is a lot going on inside. I could have added a belly band, but decided against it, as I really wanted to add the four hats.

My DH almost always wears a hat whenever he leaves the house, and one of his hats looks surprisingly like the hat die-cut. After cutting my hats, I inked the edges and colored the bands with different markers to coordinate with my DSP.

My sentiments--here and on the inside--were computer-generated.

Here's a little video that shows what happens when you open the card:


Isn't that fun? He sort of snorted at me for showing his age behind the shutter mechanism. And, yes, he robbed the cradle when he married me. LOL

The noise you hear in the video is a plane going over our house. We don't live far from the airport, and when I have the windows open, it can get a little noisy at times.

I happen to have an unbranded die set that cuts out the shutter elements for me, but these can easily be created by hand. I've made shutter cards in the past and have always cut everything out myself without dies. Just do a search for "gatefold shutter card tutorial" and you're sure to pull up several.

This is a photo of my shutter fully open. My die set happens to cut a round shutter shape, whereas most of the videos will instruct you to create a diamond shape as your shutter opens.

I hope you'll give this card a try. It really is fun to make. I think I'll make a few Halloween cards using this technique with the work "Boo!" behind the shutter.

I had a great time last week visiting my sisters. We all four attended a family wedding (my oldest sister's grandson was married), and then I spent some personal time with my two younger sisters. I even got to spend an entire day in my youngest sister's crafting space, using some of her dies to make some cuts to bring home.



Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

5 comments:

designbydonna said...

How fun. Opening that to see the surprise message is great. The hats on front are very stylish. Your right, this idea will be great for Halloween cards.

Lynne in NI said...

Oh wow, that's so clever Cheryl! Love your hats theme for your hubby.

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

That is one of the cutest cards I've ever seen! I love the way the age is revealed! Great job! Tell your husband to be proud of his age. :)

Lynette said...

That is really awesome, Cheryl!! I love the way it works. I hope I'll remember to make one of them some day. I'm glad you had such a fun time with your sisters - it sounds great.

Glittered Paws said...

Fun Fun - has been a good long while since I made one of these cards. I love love love your hats - what a great die. My hubby usually wears a hat with a bill when he goes out. And my hubby will be 77 - so real close in age, but age is only a number, he keeps very active (even works some days against my wishes). Tell hubby Happy Birthday.