Wish List

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Happy Birthday, Hadley!

My granddaughter Hadley turns six years old today. They grow up so fast and it's really hard to believe she is already six!
This is one of my favorite photos of Hadley. She lives in Portland, Oregon, so doesn't get many chances to enjoy snow. Luckily, they had a little snow before Christmas, and, as you can see, Hadley was excited.

For her birthday card, I decided to make an easel card that sits atop a little box of drawers.
This is what the box looked like from the top. The doily circle is cut with a die and the butterflies were all cut from the Kate's ABCs cartridge.


I also decorated the sides of the box with a bit of the patterned paper that I had punched with the Martha Stewart "Doily Lace" border punch.








The box was made as a one-piece lidded box. I looked online at how some other boxes were made but ended up making my own pattern. I'm not sure anymore, but I think the finished size was about 5" X 5" X 1 1/4". I didn't have a large enough piece of cardstock to cut it all from one piece, so I cut it out of two pieces and adhered them together at the back. The ribbon is adhered to the underside of the box with double-sided tape and keeps the lid down when it is tied in place.

Here you can also see the top of the card. The image was cut from Kate's ABCs and the number 6 was cut with a Cuttlebug die. I have a couple old sets of Cuttelbug alpha/number dies that I use from time to time.

This photo shows the "card" outside of its pink box. The base of the card serves as the top of the little four-drawer gift box. Another doily holds the easel card in place.

Here's a photo showing each of the drawers opened. The drawer handles are little wooden beads that are attached to each drawer with some fine gold wire. You can just see some of the little treats I put in each drawer for Hadley. You can also see how the easel card sits atop the drawers.



Here's one more peek at the top of the card and the inside. I had so much fun making this card for Hadley, and I hope she enjoys the little surprises it holds for her.




Thanks so much for stopping by today, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

3 comments:

designbydonna said...

Wow, Cheryl, that is impressive. Your granddaughter will cherish it. And, what a cute pic of her. Oh to always be that enthusiastic about life.

Anonymous said...

Love the box and the card. That is a great pic of Hadley also!!! Mkw

Anonymous said...

Hurra ! I found it .... !!!
So nice and filled with the love of a grand - ma for her grand - daughter ! NM