Wish List

Monday, January 20, 2014

I haven't posted in a while. Here's why...

I actually have been busy with craft projects, getting a good start on my Valentine cards and treats. I'll start posting those later this week. What has really kept me busy the last few days is this:
I've been sewing this dress for my 8-year-old granddaughter, Polly, who is studying the life and culture of a century ago. She, along with her class, is visiting an historic schoolhouse and the class was invited to dress in the clothing of the day.

Polly, her mom (my daughter), her little brother and I went out to Joann's Fabrics to pick out a pattern and some fabric. We had a fun time looking at fabrics and thinking about whether they might be similar to something that would have been available then.

The buttons that I sewed onto the front of the dress were some very old buttons that I had inherited from my mother. The price was still on the two cards of buttons:  6 buttons for 10 cents!

Here's a picture of Polly in her dress. Do you see her little toes poking out from under the long skirt? Don't worry, she will be wearing shoes to school! She also has to take her lunch wrapped in a bandana and tied to a stick. How fun is that?

You can't see it in the photo, but I made a little head band out of some of the extra brown ribbon to hold her hair back. It has a little bow off to one side and looks so cute on her.

I asked Polly what she had learned that she thought was good about a century ago and what was not so good. She said the "not so good" thing was that the children had to walk to school, even when it was very cold (we live in Minnesota - it can get COLD). The good thing was that they got to wear dresses like this. :) Awwwwww.  She knows how to make her grandma feel good.

I hope Polly has a lot of fun wearing her pioneer dress. She sure looks cute in it!

Thanks for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

1 comment:

Shanna said...

I love this SO much!!!!