Wish List

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Twofer Challenge: Bees...

I decided to hop into the bee-themed challenge over on the Twofer Challenge Blog, even though I didn't really have any bee images other than a tiny, realistic bee stamp.

 

I went searching on the internet for a clipart bee that had a bit more personality than my stamp. I found a cute little bee that was even in the usual black and yellow coloring. I pulled it into my Silhouette software, sized it to my liking, made a mirror image of it so that I could have bees facing each other, traced them both, and then made multiple copies for a "print and cut." That means I could print out as many copies of the bees as I wanted and then the Silhouette would cut them all out for me. No fussy cutting!

Here are the cards I came up with.


The first one is a Valentine and the second a birthday card.


Can you see those cute little bees and how they're facing each other? The only part I colored on them was their wings. I added a little aqua marker and then coated them with a glitter pen.

I punched out a few little hearts, inked their edges (like my big scalloped heart) and then gave them a top coat of clear Nuvo Drops. Of course, I wasn't satisfied with that--I had to go and scatter some little "pearls" of clear Nuvo Drops on the scalloped heart, too. In retrospect, I think I could have done without those. I just got carried away!!

The flight paths of my bees were drawn with a black fine point pen, and my little bees were popped up on foam squares.



The inside of my card was very simple.  I used another narrow piece of the pink glitter paper to frame my sentiment and added my little bee with his romantic flight path.








My second card is a shaker card. For my shaker elements I added sequins, microbeads and glitter. I think I could have left out the glitter, though. It has a propensity to cling to the acetate.



Once again, you can see my cute little bees, happily buzzing around the shaker. The shaker section is sort of representative of the hive, don't you think?












On the inside of this card, I added a little bee with his flight path.













Finally, I did make a third bee card. It's another birthday card, but for a belated birthday wish.


I figured that as long as I had more bees and more patterned paper, I might as well use them! I printed my sentiment, then cut it out with a  photo frame die. I also cut the photo frame from some fun foam. I layered the CS on top of the fun foam and then adhered the whole thing to some more white CS before adding it to my card.

All of my sentiments on these cards were computer generated.


Here's the inside of this card with yet another bee. And I still have a few bees left to use. Guess I shouldn't have stopped at just three cards!

I hope I've helped inspire you to join in on the "Bee Challenge" over on the Twofer Challenge Blog.

Today is a beautiful day here in the land of 10,000 lakes. I think I need to go out and walk around one of them.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.

Cheryl

6 comments:

Darnell said...

You could have made a whole swarm of cards, Cheryl! (Sorry, couldn't resist!) What a darling bee that is! You've created three wonderful designs using it! I especially love "son of a bee sting" and that romantic bee trail! I want to thank you for the inspiration from your shaker card ... I have that die and love how you used the square boxes (hives) for the shaker bits and the large rectangle for your sentiment! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #17! Hugs, Darnell

Happy Dance said...

As a lover of patterned paper, I was drawn right away to your front panels on both cards (well...all three actually!). Just by turn the paper, you've given the second card a completely different look. Darling valentine card, and I do like the shaker birthday card. Sweet bees, as well. Thank you for joining us at the Twofer Challenge. Bev

Glittered Paws said...

Oh I love your two-fer and your three-fer and on and on and on - might as well use up those bees. I saw this challenge on another blog and they had used the bees for an anniversary card - which you could do as well with your heart. Love your shaker card- I have trouble using the micro beads - they just seem to go every where. I thik the glitter adds something.
Talk about walking - we don't have a lake but our subdivision is the trail head for a beautiful state park with walking trails. I really need to get back into walking the dogs love it and maybe it would help me shed some of the added weight I accumulated this winter (due to medication). Ugh. I don't know which is worse - pain or a fat bottom!!!

designbydonna said...

Can you stand one more pun? I "bee" in love with your cards. Those are cute little bees. Love your sentiments. The little stitched bee trails add so much.

Lynette said...

Fabulous, Cheryl!! Maybe next time we get together you can help me figure out how to use my Silhouette! :)

Lynne in NI said...

Heee looks like you'd lots of fun with your little bees, your silhouette sounds like a great gadget! Hope you enjoyed your walk. We've 'summer' this week, so nice not to be rain, rain and more rain!