Wish List

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Orange you glad it's your birthday...

I had a little lightbulb moment when I thought of creating a little basket of goodies for my granddaughter who just turned 13. Wow! T.H.I.R.T.E.E.N. It seems like we were celebrating her birth just a couple years ago!!!

Anyway, to celebrate her special day of becoming a teenager, I decided to create a fun little basket of goodies as one of her gifts. Here's a peek:


As you can see, I made a fun little tag to hang on the handle of the basket. I used my favorite tag again from the Silhouette Online Store (Design ID #77389). The flowers were some that I had in my stash and the bit of greenery was made with an EK Success punch.



I really didn't use a specific pattern for this basket. I simply took a 12" X 12" sheet of cardstock and scored it at 3" on every side. I followed the usual instructions for making the bottom half of a box. Then I took a strip of coordinating cardstock, scored and folded it in half the long way and glued this onto the edge of my basket to give it  finished look. The handle was added with yet another strip of CS that was adhered to two opposite sides.
 



 

One of the fun parts of making this basket was shopping for lots of "orange" goodies to fill it. I found the "My Goodies" bag in Joann's for less than $3 (on sale, of course). I also found the orange bandana there for just a couple of dollars. I added some orange nail polish, Reese's candy, orange Tic Tacs, orange gum, hair elastics and some cute striped panties. My granddaughter was SO embarrassed by the addition of the panties. They're so cute though, and I think they'll be really comfy to wear.

I've got some ideas for other colors of baskets (For example, "Don't be blue, it's your birthday!"). I think they're a fun way to honor a special birthday, and the kids sure seem to like them.


I kept my orange theme going and made this decoration for one of her other gifts, which I had wrapped in a yellow and white patterned paper. I used more flowers from my stash, and the letters were stamped individually and then heat embossed.

Her birthday card also fit in with this theme, but I'll share that with you in my next post.

I finally got my seedlings and seeds (lettuce, onions, squash, etc.) planted yesterday before the rains rolled in. Our weatherman is saying it will rain every day this week. I don't usually luck out by getting my planting done BEFORE it rains. I guess the force is with me this year. he he Hopefully, everything doesn't get too waterlogged.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

4 comments:

designbydonna said...

What a fun idea for a special birthday girl. I am going to keep this one on file. I have a granddaughter turning 13 next year. Your right--how time flies.
Looking forward to some of those other color themes you come up with.

Lynne in NI said...

What a great gift idea Cheryl, and I love that your basket matches your pretty card!
Sorry to hear you're a bit damp over there, but don't be sending that rain our way, we're having a ball in the sun ;)

Glittered Paws said...

What a fun basket - and love the color themes. The card matches the basket perfectly. I bet it was fun shopping, love JoAnns too.

Taunya Butler said...

What a CUTE and CLEVER idea - I love it - I hope she did too!! What fun it would be to put together a basket like this! You are awesome and this is such a wonderful thing you did!!