Wish List

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

My grandson's birthday card...

I have a couple of grandsons who are veteran Minecraft players (both with birthdays in August), so I decided to use that theme for their birthday cards.

I searched online for a Minecraft paper pattern that I could print out. There are lots of different free printables available. I wish I could point you toward the exact one that I used, but I'm afraid I can't find it anymore.

I also looked at Pinterest posts for ideas to create the front of my card. I found the look I wanted, but had to guess a bit at the size of the black facial features. I used 1" squares for the eyes, which I've scored both ways in 1/4" increments (doesn't show up in the photo). For the nose and mouth, I cut a piece of black cardstock that was 2" X 2", scored it both ways at 1/4" increments, and then used my score lines as guides to cut away parts until I had the shape you see here.

On the inside, I used a pop-out idea that I found on Splitcoast Stampers, modifying it to fit the size of card I like to make (4 1/2" X 6").  It takes some patience, but I did eventually get it all to work properly. I happened to have a die that cut out little squares to form a lattice shape, so I used those little squares to decorate my Creeper pop-out.

As you can see, I first lined the inside of my card with a black layer, then the pop-out was on a green layer, and finally, I carefully measured and cut two printed layers to cover any of the green that was NOT part of the actual Creeper.

My sentiments were computer-generated and cut out with some pierced rectangle dies.

While these cards took a little longer than usual to make, I think my grandsons liked them. At least it was a theme they totally "got."

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

5 comments:

Glittered Paws said...

Oh how much fun is this for a boys birthday - I know they loved them.

Mona Pendleton said...

Pure cuteness Cheryl! Love the fun pop up! Your grandsons will surely love to receive a card like this!

Darnell said...

This is so darn clever, Cheryl! Those boys are going to get such a kick out of how you made this personalized design just for them!! Hugs, Darnell

Lynne in NI said...

Oh cool boys card Cheryl! My nephew and niece are both into Minecraft too, they'd spend hours at it if they could get away with it!

designbydonna said...

Cheryl, These are awesome. Your grandsons will love the Minecraft theme. I love that pop up in the center.