Wish List

Friday, May 20, 2016

A toadally awesome birthday card...

I promised to make my brother a card to give to his grandson on his 6th birthday. I did a little search online and decided to purchase a cutting file for this cute toad and layered sentiment from Miss Kate Cuttables.


Isn't he a cute little toad? He comes compete with his little birthday hat, to which I added a sparkly gold enamel dot at the top. I also added Glossy Accents to his big eyes.

My "Wishing you..." sentiment circle was computer generated.

Notice the cloudy sky behind him? I created that with a piece of torn CS and some sponged ink.

Mr. toad was placed into my framed aperture with some fishing line. In order to sandwich the fishing line between two toads, I simply mirrored the image and cut two of them with my Silhouette.


Instead of cutting out my sentiment words, I used my Silhouette sketch pens to "draw" them on a piece of white CS. Then I had the Silhouette cut the entire sentiment out along with the black mat underneath it. I used markers and gel pens to fill in the letters, since the Silhouette drew the outline of the letters and didn't actually fill them in with color.






 Here's a peek at the inside, where you can see the mirror image of Mr. Toad and how he is suspended in the aperture. You can also see my sponged clouds. I used some Post-It notes to mask off the bottom of my card where I printed my sentiment with the computer.



This was a fun card to make. If you wind the toad a few turns and then carefully place the card in its envelope, it will automatically unwind when the card is first opened. A fun little extra for the birthday boy!

We've had some warm weather for a change and my lettuce seeds have sprouted and are now sporting tiny little leaves. Not big enough to harvest for a salad yet, but it won't be long! I LOVE fresh vegetables from the garden, so I'm keeping a close eye on my lettuce to make sure the many bunnies that live in our neighborhood don't harvest it first!!

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

5 comments:

Lynne in NI said...

Heeee what a fab smiley frog Cheryl, and it looks just as wonderful from the inside! Bet he has great fun with that one!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Hi Cheryl, yes, that toad is toadally cute! So clever the way you have cut a mirror image of him so that you can see him on the inside too and a great idea for 'spinning' him! Yes, the first thing I noticed was your great sponged clouds in the background! Good luck with keeping your lettuces safe! Have a lovely Sunday! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

designbydonna said...

So "toadally" awesome. That frog is just adorable. I love the window. Cute colorful sentiment too.

Glittered Paws said...

What a fun birthday card - sure it will bring smiles to someone. Looks like it was a fun card to make. Our garden is thriving - we have cut rhubarb already and I just stuck a strawberry/rhubarb pie in the oven.

Taunya Butler said...

Cheryl, my dear, I pronounce you the DIECUT queen!! ANd this card IS Toadally AWESOME!! Love how much cuteness and character it has!! Super well done!! You ROCK!!!