Wish List

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Wrapping things up...

I had these little boxes of Pirouline cookies that I wanted to give as little gifts. These boxes are only about 1 1/2" X 3" X 7". Because they are such small gifts in both size and cost (I found them in the dollar bins at Target), I wanted to make them special by dressing them up in a fun way.

First, I wrapped them in a couple layers of white tissue paper. Then I grabbed some scraps of fleece fabric I have had for years and cut a rectangle for a hat and a long narrow piece for the scarf. I used my sewing machine to quickly sew the two narrow ends of the rectangle together for the hat. Then I simply cut a fringe around one end, slipped the other end over my box and tied the top with some embroidery thread to make a sort of pompom. I also cut a little fringe on both ends of my scarf.


I used some black puffy paint for the eyes, mouth and buttons down the front. My nose was cut by hand out of a scrap of orange cardstock.

This was honestly SUPER QUICK to do, especially since my sewing machine and fabric scraps are always at hand in my little craft room.

I wrote the names of the recipients on the back and set them on the branches of my Christmas tree. They're very light weight so they sit quite nicely, nestled in the branches. And they look cute, too. My husband even noticed them!





I'm nearly done making cookies. Once they're done, I'll start working on the soups for Christmas Eve. We have a tradition of having hearty, homemade soups for our evening meal on that day. We like to go sledding in the afternoon on a nearby hill (IF there's enough snow - it doesn't look good this year!) and then come back for soup before we open gifts. This year I'll be making Chicken Wild Rice, Cheesy Corn Cheddar and Beef Chili. The wild rice soup is my family's favorite, so that is a "must-have." The other two soups vary from year to year, although I always tend to make Chili. On Christmas Day we will have a big meal of roast turkey and dressing with all the fixings. I will also need to make the pies (Cherry, Pumpkin and Apple) for our dessert on Christmas Day. I don't think I'll have to cook for a month after the holidays, as there should be lots of leftovers, which I love!

Do you have special foods that you only make during the holidays? I'd LOVE it if you'd leave a comment and let me know what they are.

Thank you so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

3 comments:

designbydonna said...

What an adorable snowman gift wrapping. Gift too--I love Pirouline, especially those dark chocolate. We visited Minnesota this past summer and I purchased 2 soup mixes with wild rice. Loved them. Sound like you have a lot of work ahead of you. We had family Christmas at Thanksgiving as this is the in-law year for the kids. So it is just me & DH for Christmas at home. I think we will eat at a local buffet restaurant that is open a part of the day.

Glittered Paws said...

You are so clever, I love those cookies too. You really dressed up this giftie with the wrapping.

Glittered Paws said...

Holiday goodies I make only at Christmas - well there are 2 cookies - one is an Amish sugar cookie (that my hubby doesn't really care for) I make those for me and the kids!!! Then the pecan balls rolled in powdered sugar. Don't know why I only make these are Christmas. Going to granddaughters for Christmas dinner - they have 2 little peeps so it will be fun spending part of the day with them. She ask "grandma to bring her favorite yummy pecan pie"!!