Wish List

Friday, May 9, 2014

First ever "card in a box"...

Today is my granddaughter's 11th birthday, and we'll be joining her for cake and gift-opening tonight. Grandchild birthday parties are always fun!

Here's the card I made for her:


I decided to try my first ever "card in a box," and I enjoyed putting this one together. The hardest part was deciding what the theme should be and then what elements I wanted to "pop" out of the box.

I had some fun cardstock with candy on it - jelly beans and lollipops - so decided to go with a "sweet" theme.











I hand cut the lollipops and added some cardstock sticks to them. I cut three ice cream cones from the Nifty Fifties cartridge and come cupcakes from Create a Critter 2.

The heart circle in the back is a Spellbinders die. I thought it made a very cute backdrop for all those sweet treats.

I added some sweet little buttons to the cupcakes to tie in the button DSP that I used to decorate the flaps.










I decorated each of the side flaps with one of the sweet treats, which I popped up on foam tape on top of a glittery scalloped circle.










I added a couple of the lollipops to the back of the box, along with the sentiment, and I left some room to sign our names.

The little row of jelly beans at the bottom was cut from patterned cardstock. I also fussy-cut a few of the jelly beans and adhered them to the sides of the box just above the pale pink ribbon. You can see them just peeking out in the first picture and in the photo below.




Here's how the card folds up. One of the lollipops is peeking out the left side, but it still all fit in a regular envelope that I had on hand.







This card was a bit time-consuming, but a lot of fun. I think I'll be able to pull one together a little more quickly next time around. I've already got some ideas in my head.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

3 comments:

Hannelie said...

Now this looks so yummy!
I can just imagine the look on her face when she sees this Cheryl!

designbydonna said...

She will love that. What a cute surprise when you open the box.

Diane said...

Cheryl this is just adorable what a fun pop up box design.

Hugs diane