Wish List

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Family trees and get well soon...

My husband is working on our family trees - sometimes I think it's going to end up being an entire forest! In the course of reading through some of the information that's been passed to me, I found out some details about one of my great grandmothers (my maternal grandfather's mother). I remember her fairly well as I was 9 years old when she passed away at the age of 92. I read in her obituary that at the time of her death she had 49 grandchildren, 70 great grandchildren (I was one of the 70) and 5 great-great grandchildren. Can you imagine? All together she had 124 grandchildren. W.O.W. I have 10 grandkids, and I think that's a lot. I don't know what I'd do if I had 49. No wonder she always seemed a little cranky to me. :)

Today's card is a get well card for my stash. I like to have a couple of these on hand for when I need them.  I'm not a very fast paper crafter and the recipient would probably recover before I could get one made if I waited until they were needed.

I decided to try a little different color combination for me - mustard yellow, deep aqua and red. See what you think.

I stamped the image on paper that was specifically for acrylic paints - big mistake. It just doesn't color properly with ProMarkers, but I forged ahead anyway. It doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't look great, either. I used a Lifestyle Crafts die for the oval and a punch to make the aqua strips--I rather like the look of them across the bottom.  I also die cut a tiny tag using Spellbinders Labels and Tags. 

A few days ago I was at our local ArtScraps store that sells all kinds of odds and ends at very reduced prices.  They had some really nice balls of cotton floss for 50 cents a ball (saw them in Joann's today for $2.79 each). I bought four or five of them in different colors, and one of them was the red floss I used to tie on the tiny tag that says, "Get Well Soon." I love when I find great deals like that.

You may have noticed that I arched the top of the card. I actually used a circle die to do this, putting only the top of the card between the two plates before I ran it through my Cuttlebug.

Some red flat-backed gems added a little sparkle that I thought made the card a bit cheerier.

Thanks for stopping by today.  Remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

3 comments:

Patti J said...

Great card, Cheryl, and I love the arched top! Love reading your story about your grandmother. Goodness, I don't even have ONE grand yet, can't imagine 10, 49, or 70! Wowzers! Thanks for sharing :)

Shanna said...

Wow! That's a lot of grand kids!! Whose mom was she?

Cheryl W. said...

She was Great Grandma Schulz, Shanna. Grandpa Schulz's mother.