Wish List

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Speaking of black and white...

Nothing says "summer" more than yellow and butterflies.  And this card, which was cased from a card by Mary of StampinPretty, really says summer to me. I love black and white papers, especially when they're combined with a bright color.  I decided I wanted more yellow in my card than Mary has in hers, so I used a yellow card base instead of white.

As I put together this card, I remembered my first experiences with black and white television. I was a small child when it was just becoming commonplace in the home.  I remember the first television (b&w, of course) my family had. My dad actually made it from a kit - which you could get in those days.  He put the whole thing together, and when the magic moment came to turn it on for the first time, we were all gathered around in great expectation.  He turned it on, did a little tuning and a very, very snowy picture of a clown appeared on the screen--upside down! My dad had the TV sitting on the counter upside down.  We had that TV for years.  It never fit properly in the wooden cabinet we had for it, we could only get a couple of stations, and the screen was perpetually snowy. No matter, we enjoyed it anyway.

Years later my dad worked in a job where he could buy an RCA color television at a reduced cost and by making monthly payments. I believe that TV was over $400 which was a LOT of money in those days - especially for a family with 6 kids.  He surprised us one day by bringing that very special TV home. We were so excited! We were the first family in my small town to own a color TV set (keep in mind we lived in a town of 300 people in the middle of North Dakota).  There were only a couple of TV shows in color at the time, and one of them was Arthur Murray's Dance Party. I thought those colorful twirling ball gowns were the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.

What has all this got to do with today's card?  Not a thing. Just thought I'd share a little personal story.

You can see this is a pretty simple layout.  Yellow cardstock and a couple of pretty black and white designer papers, all from my stash.  The butterflies and sentiment label were cut in my Cuttlebug with Spellbinders dies. The sentiment is raised up on dimensionals and each of the butterflies has a yellow flat-backed pearl at its center. I added a punched border in black and tied a couple pieces of narrow yellow ribbon at the top.  I was nearly done...except for the inside.

Here you can see that I added the same black punched border on the inside and used a Fiskars birthday sentiment and a butterfly stamp (not sure of the manufacturer of this one.)

Once again, for fun, I am entering this card in the following challenge:

Dutch Dare Card Challenge - #171 Flutterby Butterfly-Crafty Sentiments

Thanks for stopping by and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

5 comments:

Shanna said...

Love to hear that story! The card is adorable too! :)

Pattie G said...

What a great creation! Thanks for joining us at Dutch Dare Card Challenge.
Hugs
Pattie ♥

Shanna Shands said...

Great card. love the yellow. Thanks for playing hope you can play our new challenge over at Dutch Dare.

Unknown said...

Love the personal story! Keep telling them! Xoxo

Unknown said...

Love the personal story! Keep sharing! xoxo